Dog Care & Clinics Casper WY
Monday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Animal Daycare, Animal Flea Control, Animal Grooming, Animal Microchipping, Declawing, Emergency Veterinary Clinic, Equine Vet, Holistic Veterinary Medicine, Large Animal Vet, Small Animal Vet, Spaying/Neutering, Veterinarians, Veterinary Dentistry, Veterinary Docking, Veterinary Euthanasia, Veterinary Medical Specialties, Veterinary Surgery
7 days per week and after hours!
Foods and Plants that are Poisonous to Dogs
The prospective dog owner plans ahead for their new dog. The seasoned dog owner knows that not everything can be planned for. But it is possible to plan ahead for a very serious and common emergency - poisonous hazards for dogs.
There are many toxic foods and plants for dogs. All of the toxins that affect dogs are too numerous to mention in an article so it is best to research anything you aren't sure about. Ask your vet or check with an animal organization like the ASPCA .
Some Inside Plants Poisonous to Dogs
Some Outside Plants Poisonous to Dogs
Human Foods That Poison Pets
Holiday Hazards For Dogs
The holidays are a very hectic time for dogs and dog owners alike and it's easy to miss some of the plants and foods poisonous to dogs specific to that time.
General Signs Of Poisoning
Though there can be signs that are specific to each toxin, the most common are:
Immediate Treatment of a Poisoned Pet
If your dog is exhibiting any of these symptoms or even if you just suspect he ingested something toxic, call a pet poison hot line such as the ASPCA (1-888-426-4435) or the Pet Poison Hot Line (1-800-213-6180). Your l...
How Much Water Should a Dog Drink a Day?
Many dog owners leave out water for their dogs all the time with the thought that they'll drink as much, or as little, as they need. But how much water does a dog need? Monitoring your dog's water intake can improve their health, prevent illness and insure proper hydration. While some dogs naturally do this on their own, some either under-drink or over-drink. Too little water can lead to dehydration in dogs, kidney stones, organ failure and even death. Drinking too much water can lead to stomach bloat, electrolyte imbalances, and Hyponatremia (water toxicity).
Also, keep in mind that if your dog is under-drinking or over-drinking, it could be a sign of an underlying illness. Under-drinking can indicate Parvo, Leptospirosis, or Pancreatitis. Over-drinking can signify a bladder infection, another type of infection, or diabetes. Have your vet check your dog if he's doing either.
How much water a day should a dog drink? How much and how carefully you have to monitor him depends on several factors:
Checking for Dehydration in Dogs and Overhydration in Dogs
To look for dehydration in dogs, grab a piece of skin at the back of your dog's neck. Stretch it out, then let it go. A properly hydrated dog's skin will snap quickly back into place, while the skin of a dehydrated dog will return slowly and form a "tent" in the process. You can also check your dog's gums for dehydration - wet, slippery gums are healthy. Dull, sticky gums suggest dehydration.
Dogs who overhydrate will often vomit, act confused or become lethargic.
Insuring Proper Hydration
Knowing the amount of water your pet should drink helps you determine if your dog is an under-drinker or an over-drinker. There are a few ways to manage these pooches:
Taking Care of Your Dog's Anal Glands
Watch Out for the "Scoot"
You might have seen one of the many videos on You Tube where a dog is scooting his butt across the floor in a most humorous way. Not only is it unfair to the dog, who has no idea millions of people are laughing at his expense, it's also a sign of a potentially serious problem - impacted or infected anal glands.
It may not be something you want to bring up at the next vet visit but it's important that you do. Learning how to care for your dog's anal glands will help insure he stays healthy and may save you the cost of an emergency visit to the vet later on. Anal glands are a dog's calling card - they emit a small amount of fluid when pressured by urinating or defecating and that fluid has your dog's own unique smell. They can also release the smell when a dog is excited, for example when meeting another dog. If the glands aren't expressed (releasing built up fluid) naturally and regularly, they become impacted which can lead to infection or even a rupture of the glands.
Regular Care of the Anal Glands
Some dogs never have a problem with their anal glands so it's up to you to be aware of the warning signs. The famous scoot across the floor is a good indication that your dog needs his anal glands expressed. Other signs are a fishy odor around your dog's behind, your dog licking near his rectum, or soft stools. If you notice any blood where your pup has scooted, go to the vet immediately, as it is a sign of an infection.The Role of Nutrition
By feeding your dog a higher quality dog food with fewer or no cereal fillers, your dog will likely produce firmer stools which will naturally express the anal glands.Avoid People Food
Table Scraps are more likely to cause soft stools.Supplements
There are some supplements that are thought to support the anal glands such as the product "AnalGlandz." Be sure to check with your vet before starting any supplement.Having a Professional Express the Glands
This is really recommended as an expert is less likely to hurt your dog and can do it quickly and efficiently. You can bring your dog to the vet to get the glands expressed when you notice a sign that they're impacted. You can also bring him to the groomer. A groomer is a good choice because she likely sees your dog every few months and, thus, there's less time that the glands are going unchecked.Doing It Yourself
Again, this is not recommended but if you're determined to express the glands yourself, here are ...